Maggie's Plum Tart


This might come across as an overstatement but I assure you it is not - this is the yummiest thing I have ever baked and the one I am most proud of to date. The more experience I have in the kitchen whether it be cooking or baking, the more I realise that the simple recipes, the ones that you think 'oh, there's nothing really to that one' are the ones that usually come out the best, the ones that you want more of and more often. It is so good that Bob and I both finished it in under a minute and immediately had seconds and had to stop ourselves having thirds. I think this would also work with peaches or pears but I would recommend only trying it with plums when they are beautifully in season (baked in March in Australia).

Ingredients:
8 fresh black plums
60g butter, softened
1/3 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder (optional)
1/4 cup full cream milk
cinnamon and sugar

Method:
Grease a 23cm springform tin or a fluted, loose-based tin.
Set the oven temperature to moderate (180C).
Wash, halve and stone the plums.
Cream the butter and sugar and add the lightly beaten egg, beat well.
Sift the flour and add 1/2 cup along with the vanilla bean powder to the mixture. Beat to combine.
Add the milk and remaining flour alternately (this will make a thick mixture).
Spread the mixture over the base of the prepared tin.
Place the prepared plums, cut side down, on the cake batter.
Bake in a moderate oven for one hour.
While still warm, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

***Margaret Fulton: My Very Special Cookbook pg 303***



Comments

Popular Posts